Saturday, June 20, 2009

What a Day!

I have had this blog written for the last couple of days but have not had an opportunity to post it until now! 



Today I can say was not an average day for Wes Bauer. I woke up at home in Winnipeg to cameras, and equipment being hauled into our living room. Immediately our house had been turned from a living area, to a studio. Lights, wires, monitors and two cameras. The reasoning behind all of this was we were being visited by a very special person named Brian Williams. He has interviewed many celebrities, athletes, you name it he has probably interviewed it.


Growing up around football I had always seen Brian Williams on CBC sports, and now TSN. The features he commits himself to are always filled with passion and well executed by himself and those involved. There was excitement inside of me knowing that I was going to be interviewed by Brian Williams and I would have the opportunity to share my story, and the stories of so many I have met on this trip while encouraging Canadians to make a difference to end this disease. Brian and his crew had prepped phenomenal questions and over the hour or so interview with my father and I, you were able to see why this man is well known for his features! Everything he did was done to his standard, he did not have a problem admitting to himself what he did was not up to his potential and would just ask to do it over. One thing that was great about this man was how excited he was to be there interviewing us. 

From there we were off to the St. Boniface area for the last few shots with TSN. Karen the producer for this feature was there. I must say that I am continually impressed by the people TSN has hired for this featured, they all have carried themselves to be great people. Every single time I meet a camera man, sound man, producer, interviewer I am astonished at the quality of the person. This time was not an exception at all, again I was pleased to work together with truly great people. We had shots of my father and I and a short interview with Karen! I must admit that one of my favorite parts was how the sound guy could hear every word a group of school children yelling "I want to be on television". He would just smile and tell me what they were saying and say these responses of these kids keep becoming cleverer and cleverer 


After the interview I was off to the Chase the Cure Bud N Spud! This event was put on by Nicole Laping who serves as an absolute inspiration to me on my ride I cannot say enough great things about her. Her enthusiasm to make a difference in the fight against cancer, and enjoyment of life is something I truly admire. It was extremely neat for me to meet her and see the similarities between her and her father who worked at my High School. 


This event was tremendous, there were so many different realms of friends present, which allowed for friends whom have not seen each other for many years to re-connect but also for those who did not know each other to become aquatinted! It was really neat to see many Chase the Cure t-shirts walking around the corridors of the Palimino Club. The event hosted a 208 people and through draws, and ticket sales raised $3,500!!!!! This is another tremendous effort by a community of people coming together to make a difference. I cannot thank Nicole Laping, and her family for coming up to the plate to organize this event, it was a extreme success and something the Chase will carry as a memory across the country sharing it with many! 

No comments: