Wednesday, June 17, 2009

WOW WOW Winnipeg




Well ,Winnipeg has truly embraced what it means to Chase the Cure.

On Tuesday James Struthers had the Academy on Osborne rocking with an event he organized called the 'Chase the Cure Mixer'. This event had some of Winnipeg's most talented musicians including Flo, The Lytics, and James Struthers, himself. Both familiar and unfamiliar faces poured into the Academy to make a difference in the fight against cancer while enjoying these tunes. The night was kicked off by Flo, whose jazzy voice was a delight to listen to! We then moved into the unique James Struthers who awed the crowd with his shifty moves, and soothing voice. The Lytics finished out the evening with upbeat tunes. They had an absolute new sound of music that I greatly enjoyed. I cannot say enough about all of these artists. It is extremely difficult being a new artist financially but all of these artists found ways to donate.


The Lytics came out in full force even though they all had to be up at 4 a.m. to catch a plane for a show in Toronto. After their phenomenal performance they paid it forward by donating their first official paycheck to Chase the Cure. This act exemplified the generosity of the members of the Lytics. Please check out their music by clicking here.


James Struthers needs to be completely commended as this event was a complete success raising $2,500. I appreciate everyone who came out to be apart of the Chase as everyone of you have inspired me to continue to push this journey further while encouraging others to make a difference as you have against this terrible disease!!! I really hope everyone that came out had a phenomenal time, as I greatly enjoyed myself!


Previously, I spoke of Monarch Industries, a company that fundraised for Chase the Cure. Today I stopped by their office at noon, and my jaw hit the floor. This company is composed of passionate employees who seem to be one large family. Upon arriving I was bag piped into the office and greeted by all of the employees of the office wearing their Chase the Cure t-shirts. This absolutely thrilled me, as I had come upon a group of individuals who believed in the 'Chase' as much as I. After speaking to the employees I was presented with a cheque for $2,500! These group of individuals at Monarch Industries took it upon themselves to make a difference in the fight against cancer. These people will forever be in my hearts, and I will carry their belief, and encouragement all the way with me to the east coast! Thank you so much!


From Monarch, I met up with Steno who is a freelance cameraman who was hired by TSN to do a shoot for the Chase. Let me say, I am continually astonished by the quality people TSN hires. Steno met us at the Health Sciences Centre in Winnipeg, where we took many shots. Unfortunately, due to the outbreak of the swine flu we were unable to go into the building and gain shots of the GD6 ward we would have liked to! I must thank Steno for his passion he showed while filming the Chase!


Following my meeting with Steno I cruised down to NCI 105.5 for an interview with Brian Cook. Right away, this man was intrigued by the Chase. We moved on-air and he was a great interviewer. I appreciate the passion and encouragement Brian showed for this cause and the story he told me about how he too had been touched indirectly by cancer.


After speaking with Brian on NCI I cruised to Chase the Cure's nutrition sponsor Gorilla Jack. I was met by Barry and Martin who truly believe in Chase the Cure. Prior to Chase the Cure, they donated supplements which completely made the extensive riding of Western Canada easier on my body. I was restock by them and even given a little bit more. I am proud to associate myself with these two gentlemen as they truly are some of the kindest people and really know what will benefit my body on this ride! I cannot thank both of you enough for your continued support. If you would like more information on Gorilla Jack products (trust me its worth it), please click here.


I finished my night off with a welcome by the Winnipeg Blue Bombers at their pre-season game vs the Hamilton Tiger-Cats. At halftime, I rode into a stadium filled with 27,000 fans! I was greeted by my father, and several individuals that are difference makers in the fight against cancer. After speaking to the stadium, I was presented by one company in particular that took it upon themselves to make a difference in the fight against cancer. Not only did Ram-Winn Diesel donate the RV, as a company they generously donated $5,500 dollars to make a difference in the Chase in Manitoba! I must say, as you can see below, Phil and Susie are sporting red t-shirts they had made for this occasion. There was a section of about 100 seats I saw of complete red! These were all workers of Ram-Winn Diesel who had decided to join the Chase and make a difference. I thank everyone who was involved in this phenomenal effort!

I also would like to thank those individuals who collected donations for Chase the Cure at the gates of the stadium (James, Annie, Mandy, Logan, Brodie, Laine, Shaun, Gillian... I know there are a few I am missing so please tell me as I would really like to acknowledge your leadership in this effort). Your determination in making a difference in the fight against cancer, assures me that as Canadians we will find a cure to this terrible disease! Thank everyone for a memorable last few days!!!!!!!!




No comments: