Saturday, June 20, 2009

You Never Ride Alone On This Trip




One thing I have learned on this trip is no matter what, you never ride alone. Coast to Coast there is always someone I think about on my rides reminding me why I decided to go out and journey into a trip of this magnitude. There have people I have met along the way that do extraordinary things right as I finish my ride for the day, and they inspire me to continue to pedal where I think about them, constantly. Today was no exception at all. I am ever so grateful for a woman who came into my life, many years ago, when my father first returned to be the President and CEO of the Winnipeg Blue Bombers.






Sharon has always been there in true Blue spirit, volunteering her time. Yet, the amount she volunteers qualifies her as full-time staff. She has watched me grow from a young child into who I am now. Over the last while this woman of super-hero characteristics life has been turned upside down by being touched by cancer. Tests, blood work, what ever it be does not stop her from volunteering with the Bombers. I was thrilled when director of Player Personal John Murphy came up to me and said he wanted to do something special for Sharon. John and I came to a decision that the ride out from Winnipeg to Kenora would be dedicated to Sharon, and John would donate $100 for every year she volunteered with the Winnipeg Blue Bombers (Sharon has entered her 11 season with the big blue). Going into the presentation I could not believe the generosity of this man, but now the staff of the Bombers know Sharon has to volunteer 25 more years to meet the generous donation of John as he was unable to figure out how many seasons Sharon had participated in.





As I stated, people who do extraordinary things drive me to continue to pedal. In true fashion, I pushed myself a day ahead while riding out with Sharon, as she was truly there in spirit. She made the pedals feel light even though a headwind was present. She made my heart feel strong, and most of all she made me feel alive. I cannot thank Sharon enough for the strength she gave me today as we did hit some very difficult roads as they were in poor, poor, condition. Construction created a 20 km stretch of sand/gravel on a two-way traffic road. It was here, that I had my first fall biking due to deep gravel, but it was Sharon that picked me up and put me back on that bike and had me continuing.








If it was not for her being my inspiration today I truly believe I would not have reached my destination. I reached Kelowna exhausted, but I reached it with a proud feeling that I was able to dedicate my ride out to a one of a kind woman.






I told Sharon I would take pictures of the 220km stretch of road we rode together, so below are a few pictures of what we saw!
















Together We Ride with Sharon!!!!!!!! :)

No comments: