Saturday, June 27, 2009

Home of Winnie the Pooh!!!!


I have found Pooh!!!!! His home lies here in White River, Ontario!

Here is a little background information on how Winnie the Pooh was inspired here in White River:

"White River, Ontario - World-famous children’s character Winnie the Pooh was inspired by an orphaned bear cub, which was purchased from a trapper at White River by Captain Harry Colebourn, during WWI. He was a veternarian and his troop train had stopped at this Northern Ontario town enroute from Winnipeg. Colebourn named Winnie for his home city (Winnipeg) and took her on to England as his troop's mascot. Before shipping on to France, he left Winnie at the London Zoo where she was discovered by author A.A. Milne’s delighted son Christopher"

It was a rather large day today. We traveled through the gorgeous land of the HWY 17 along Lake Superior. This was one of the most beautiful areas I have been to, yet contained some of the most difficult terrain. Up and Down could be the category for today. I must have ascended and descended at least twenty large, large, hills today. Thank goodness for those who passed honking their horns and waving in support, or else I might have keeled over on a hill and rested for the remainder of the day. I was exhausted when I reached Marathon (100km before White River), and was thinking about stopping until I realized Winnie the Pooh's home was only another 100kms! Thank goodness, because we found this lovely oversized quad on the side of the road...... you should have heard the engine, I think it's an Arctic Cat 500cc (I think.....).

I also got to ride their bright yellow snowmobile!!!!!

I also forgot to mention that the day before, Brodie and I found Canada's largest suspension bridge.... it's pretty long; hence Canada's longest and most expensive ($18.50 a walker). It was built by a father-son duo just outside of Nipigon.















All in all it has been an adventurous past few days and we look forward to the next two days as we continue to travel this gorgeous province. I will leave you with one more scenic picture from where we slept last night.














Goodnight for now. It's not as scenic tonight as it was last night as we are behind a Robins Donuts... but the plus is it's open 24/7.




No comments: