Monday, June 29, 2009

Ontario Beauty!!!



Northern Ontario is one of the most stunning scenic roads I have ever ridden in my life. It is composed of large climbs, cliffs, endless water and a lush forest. Every where you look takes your breath away, whether it be the vibrant yellow, orange, and white wildflowers clashing with the greenery, or the creeks, waterfalls, and beachfront on the side of the road.

On sunday we left Winnie the Pooh's birthplace and traveled southeast through Lake Superior Provincial Park. The normalcy of headwinds continued on my stretch to Wawa. There was a goal in mind reaching an oversized goose. As you can see, after trudging against the headwinds I reached this massive bird (I'm the baby gosling in the picture :) ) .

While at the Wawa information center (home of the large goose) we were approached by a gentleman who was from Calgary and excited about what we were doing. He generously donated $40 dollars to the cause! After refueling myself with water, and consuming food we headed out again. We were stopped about 2kms due to a sign about Magpie Scenic Falls.... we couldn't pass this up... below is what we saw!

Finally, we returned back to the main highway after this detour and continued on our way. It was not long until we reached a place I hope I can return to in my lifetime "Old Woman Bay". It contained a warm sand beach that stretched for kilometers, with a massive cliff shoreline on the left side (as you can see in this picture). It was nice to just sit on this beach and think about the inspirational people we have met on this trip, and what we have accomplished together as Canadians thus far. We definitely had urges to sleep here on the beach but realized, that would leave an overly large day for today so we continued on!!!!

We stopped at another scenic beach on route and met up two kind gentlemen tripping with a young Winnipeg artist by the name of Sheena Grobbs, en route to Toronto. They were an absolute delight to meet up with and I highly suggest you to visit Sheena's website to listen to her tunes by clicking here!

We ended 80km outside of Sault Ste. Marie last night and slept through a rainy night. I woke up this morning excited about reaching this city, and traveled through more gorgeous landscape. We stopped at a beautiful waterfall, and met up with a family road tripping in honor of their grandfather who passed of Leukemia this February. We conversed for a while, and I continued to pedal thinking about this woman's father and how he continued to inspire me to ride. I thought about how easy this trip is to do when you are inspired by such wonderful people who are fighting for their lives.

Keep your eyes peeled for another video, as I am currently working on one!! :) That is all for now. Have a wonderful day!!!!

2 comments:

Leo said...

Your Photos are beutiful.
I am of Brasil.
Nika :)

Alexandra Pagnucco said...

Hey Wes!
Thanks for hanging out at the Steamy Bean for the afternoon.. I hope you enjoy your time in the Sault :)
And it is really awesome what you are doing!