Friday, June 26, 2009

For Warren


Before I began this ride, I spoke at the Never Alone Luncheon in Winnipeg. I asked the crowd “Why do we Chase?”. I followed up by answering several different reasons. One was, “We Chase for Warren, who has fought this disease continually for several years.”


Warren is someone who has been in my life for a long time. I see him as an absolute inspiration. I have thought about him several times on this ride, his attitude, his determination, and his goal to live his life to the fullest and just get onto that Harley and ride.


Yet, Warren is currently battling extremely hard against this disease, and with me every pedal stroke of this ride. I find courage, and strength in Warren's fight, as he is a true hero, someone who has inspired me to go coast to coast, and I only hope I can inspire him to keep fighting.


Last night, I traveled to the Terry Fox Memorial, where Terry finished the physical portion of his run but not the campaign of the Marathon of Hope. It really grounded me and reminded me why I am doing this trip. The entire time while I was at this memorial I was thinking of Warren and so many others that have been hurt time and time again by this disease. I looked at the memorial and read "Somewhere the Hurting Must Stop." I truly believe this. On this trip, I have realized a few things about this disease. Firstly: There are so many people supporting those who are fighting coast to coast. Secondly: there are many passionate Canadians coast to coast working extremely hard to find a cure.

I would like to dedicate the next few days of this ride to Warren a man who has inspired me to do this ride; a kind, generous, and loving man. Warren I look forward to you pushing the pedals with me over the next few days....

Together We Ride.... With Warren.

4 comments:

Unknown said...

your a solid guy wes, like warren.

Unknown said...

i loved what you wrote about Warren and i know all too well that you're more than accurate in your depiction of him. He is my only uncle. We've been through this battle with him, and he's never once pitied himself. he is an inspiration for others. it's sad that there aren't more people like him in this world. thank you soooooooo much for the work you're doing. it does not go unappreciated.
amber

Unknown said...

Wes, keep up the great work - it is appreciated by those of us impacted by this terrible cancer. I have known Warren and Janice for many years - from the days he used to protect me in hockey! He is constantly in our thoughts and prayers
Tim & Judy

dmowat4@shaw.ca said...

Wes,
You were so very lucky to have met Warren. We have been friends with Warren and Jan for over 30 years. We will miss him terribly but we know he fought the good fight. Keep up the good work and just know when you are riding and feel that little nudge on your bike that it is Warren riding along with you and next to you on his Harley! Danny and Karen