Thursday, June 25, 2009

A Bug's Paradise


Well there were a few things we learned from Dryden to Thunder Bay. First, our cell phones and Internet cards do not work in Northern Ontario. Secondly, the heat and humidity in Northern Ontario is incredible. Thirdly, there are a lot of black flies, horse flies, and mosquitos. Yet somehow, Northern Ontario enchanted me with its beauty.

Riding up and down, and up and down through hills of gorgeous scenery, lakes, marshes, and cliffs welcomed me throughout this trek of the Canadian Shield. The shoulders were not the greatest so the Chase vehicle followed closely behind the entire trip.

Ignance, which is 120 km outside of Dryden, has an exact population of 1,501. It was funny to see because all population signs we have seen this entire trip were always ending in zeros or fifties, and this sign had been custom crafted to add that last, single, person. I felt I would add another three bodies to the population for about an hour and catch a nap.

We spent the first night in a town called Upsala. The town consisted of two gas stations, and a set of train tracks. The sleep was miniscule due to mosquitos buzzing around our ears and the slapping of walls, windows, arms, legs wherever they landed. We woke early to make our trek into Thunder Bay! I was convinced by my trusty brother Brodie and Ashley that the alternative route was not shorter and I should go another route. I was glad to take their advice but I later found out the reasoning behind it: a gorgeous waterfall called Kakabeka Falls, 30 km outside of Thunder Bay. I was rather pleased to take the detour to see this!

Tonight, we are staying at a the house of the Murdoch's, who are an extremely generous family. Their cabin is right on the shores of Lake Superior and is absolutely stunning!!!! I hope to have Internet over the next stretch, but I have been told there isn't much between Thunder Bay and Sault Ste. Marie which is 800 km away!!!! Stay tuned to find out!!!

Goodnight for now!

1 comment:

aLLie said...

Hi!
I just wanted to say what an honor it was to meet you today...I was your Starbucks Barista :-)

As soon as I could, I came to check out your site. It is truly an amazing achievement you are doing - I've been telling all of my friends about it. I wish that we had to chance to talk more! Now that I see all of your updates and the amazing things you've experienced, I'm sure you have some wicked stories.

Even at the middle of your journey, your positive attitude was incredible and hard to ignore...it is really something special.

If you are still in Thunder Bay for a while, all of us at Starbucks would love to see you again! Good luck on your journey, I'll be checking in and cheering you on!

~Allie Pruys