Friday, May 15, 2009

Losing and Finding Myself (Day 2)

Today was a big day. I woke up at 5am, and began riding in a brisk morning out of Abbotsford, BC. Everything seemed to be going well until I hit my least favorite sign on the road - the no biking sign.

I was forced quickly to address the situation and follow a bike route that led me onto country roads. I followed these roads, but it turned out one of the biking signs was not present at an important location. I traveled back and forth trying to find the route for about an hour. After a while I decided to go over an over pass and and took the first road I found.

I was met by a woman running alongside her husband's bike. I stopped to ask them for directions back to the Trans-Canada Highway. After his directions had me walking through a marsh, I stumbled across a bus driver and asked him for directions. He gave some pretty thorough directions and set off to pick up his students. As it turned off, they also led me slightly astray. An hour later, a pedestrian gave me directions that successfully led me to the Trans-Canada Highway.

Following this, I traveled to hope where I met up with the support vehicle and had some lunch and a power nap :). From there, I traveled up and over one of the most intimidating passes on route to Calgary - the Coquihalla. It reaches 1,244 m and has some fairly steep climbing grades!! Overall, everything went pretty smoothly and I arrived at the top.

On the way down the Coquihalla, I came across an older couple on an uphill climb who had completely blown out their car's back tire. I got off my bike, helped them jack the car and chatted while we changed the tire. After hearing what I was doing, they generously donated $105 dollars to Chase the Cure to benefit BC!!!! I was extremely appreciative of them doing this.

My journey ended with me getting chased by three German Shepherds and another bumblebee "situation" - this time in my ear. I have a feeling this recurring bumblebee theme will not be ending any time soon :). I'll keep you posted.

Overall, today was just as fulfilling as yesterday. I'm continually touched by the generosity of the amazing everyday people around me.

Together We Ride.

No comments: