Thursday, May 14, 2009

Inspiring Beginning


Today we launched from Steve Fonyo Beach in Victoria. I must say that there are many stories I could tell from just one day. I will share a few that stick out for me. 

The first is about two individuals named Chris and Linda, who came down to Victoria's Mile 0 to see the launch. Linda is a breast cancer survivor and one of the kindest ladies I have met. These two individuals absolutely made my day. Linda's  bravery in bearing this disease is something I greatly look up to, and now I will carry it with me as inspiration. Her smile showed that she seemed to appreciate every moment and I only hope I can match this appreciation for life. 

Chris is a man who I felt truly carries the same passion as I do when it comes to cancer. He is extremely ambitious and motivating. I know both these individuals will make a huge difference in the fight against cancer, and I know both of them will continue to ride in my heart all the way to St. John's and for the rest of my life :). I know that they will encourage others that they are truly Never Alone in their battles. 


A man from TSN named Pat showed up in style today fully embracing Chase the Cure.  The day before he showed excitement in the Chase as he contacted Chase the Cure, and told us that he would not only be there before us in the morning but he also wanted to gain footage of the ride to the ferry terminal, and come on the ferry with us!!! 

Throughout the day he filled the air with jokes and knowledge he had gained from shooting Rick Hansen around the world. Pat was someone who was fully dedicated to his job and getting great footage! He shot from all different angles out of the car! Even had his driver (Ashley) drive at an appropriate speed so he could sit in the back of the van with the trunk open filming out of it. I would be lying if I said this was my favorite thing about Pat. He gave great advice, had an awesome sense of humour, and overall he was just a phenomenal person dedicated to making a difference in the Chase! 

There were so many highlights from today and I most definitely only shared a few here, others include, Gord from CHEK TV coming down to Mile 0 and doing a great interview, and telling me he needed the "money shots" which was dipping the wheels into the Pacific. 

Another highlight was the first person who arrived at Mile 0 this morning. Candace, a friend of mine, came out to see me leave Victoria. That was an absolute delight!!!!! 

I do have to admit that I did have an extremely scary moment today where my life flashed before my eyes. I was biking and felt everything was going great. I had my mouth open a little so I could breathe and I was looking around at the scenery around me. I brought my focus back to the road and WHAM!!!!!! Right into my mouth flew a delicious bumble bee!!!! Scared out of my mind I immediately blew the bee out of my mouth and hoped that it set sail away from me!! :)

I would like to say thank you to the Victoria community and encourage them to continue to Chase the Cure and make a difference in the fight against cancer. Tonight I will sleep in Abbotsford, and wake up in the morning and travel to Hope on route to Kelowna!!!! Hope to see everyone on the road. I encourage you to continue to make a difference! Good night for now. :) 

Together We Ride  





No comments: