Sunday, May 17, 2009

Early Morning Risers: Merritt To Kelowna!!!

Today the day started off too early in my opinion! The alarm sounded at 5:30am and I felt like I had just hit the right crack on my bed to have a restful sleep. I lazed around for a few minutes before I decided to assemble my things and have a delicious breakfast of yogurt and granola, and a bagel with jam and peanut butter. Following this I hopped on my bike and ascended directly out of the town of Merritt. There were numerous climbs on the 150km route towards Kelowna. A little larger struggle came when a headwind, combined with the hills made the going difficult. At 40kms in, after a hill climb my back tire tube had blown. I assembled my things on the side of the road and began to work on getting a spare in place, ironic as the day before I had helped a older couple change their tire on their car. I finally managed to pull myself back on to the road, and continue on my way to Kelowna. 


Once the RV arrived, my brother decided he wanted to bike the last 60km with me, lucky for him that, there was one more large uphill, to be followed by 25km of straight downhill! We reached a max speed of 75km/hr but had a headwind holding us back from going faster. Even more delightful the temperature was reaching 25 degrees Celsius.The scenery going down was absolutely stunning, beautiful mountains dropping down towards the valley which is something that most definitely needs to be seen!!!! We arrived in Kelowna and were greeting by a friends of mine, one generous one in particular who is allowing us to situate ourselves within their home :). Special thanks to the Pendleton's. It is late here and I am absolutely exhausted so I shall be off to bed for now!! We will be spending the next few days in Kelowna as we are ahead of schedule and look forward to what Kelowna has to offer in the "Chase"


No comments: