Wednesday, June 10, 2009

An Absolute Uplifting Day

When I arrived in Regina I was at the biggest low of the trip. I was exhausted after getting food poisoning, and biking into rough weather.

For the last couple of days I have been prepping a presentation for a Campbell Collegiate here in Regina. I didn't find out how large this school actually was until last night... a student body of 1,500!

This morning I woke up and had to quickly move to two in-studio radio shows, one with Big Dog, and the other at CKRM 620. From there we were off to Campbell Collegiate! The entire time I thought this event was organized by the faculty until we were greeted by a lovely 17-year-old girl named Hope. I soon realized that the event I was participating in, Campbell vs Cancer, was solely driven by student initiative.

The theme of the day was Awareness and Prevention. There were four speakers other than myself, and all spoke with passion and courage. One talk hit me specifically from survivor Harley Ast who has fought prostate cancer several times. He shared a poem at the end of his speech and the purpose of it was to encourage everyone to slow down in life... as sometimes we get caught up in the moment and travel place to place without looking around. We forget the important things of life as we become extremely busy. He asked everyone to slow everything down and see how it went. I know that even from slowing the speed down while biking across Canada it has unearthed a new appreciation for this country and the people in it. It is like a gift that, until now, I had continuously skipped over without fully appreciating it.

It was great to see youth my age stepping up to the plate making a difference in the fight against cancer. One of the most tremendous things that I have ever witnessed, was a part of the event at Campbell. At the end of the day there was a balloon ceremony. Before the ceremony, students had written the names of loved ones that had been directly affected by cancer onto biodegradable paper. They then placed them into environmentally friendly balloons, and as a closing part of the ceremony, let hundreds of balloons free. While this was happening all I could think about was my grandfather who passed from this disease shortly after my father's diagnoses had cleared up.




I must commend Hope and the students involved in organizing Campbell vs Cancer as what they did is a great accomplishment and extremely inspiring to me. All the funds they raised from their BBQ and T-Shirt sales will be donated to Chase the Cure, and help those currently affected by cancer, and find a cure to this disease within the Saskatchewan borders. I will carry their story across Canada and share it with as many as I can!

From Campbell we were off yet again to visit a CFL team: the Saskatchewan Roughriders. To many of my friends' dismay, I was presented with a Rider jersey which I sported during my interviews. After all ,when it comes to cancer the colors on the field are dropped and we are all one team working together in this fight. The Riders generously donated a cheque for $1,100 which was matched by Victoria Park Capital Inc, and was presented by CEO Janet Wightman. Both the generosity shown by the Riders and Victoria Park Capital Inc is something Chase the Cure greatly appreciates as it will go to make a difference in the fight against cancer within Saskatchewan!!!




Following the presentations I had my very first media 'scrum'. It was a weird feeling being surrounded by cameras and reporters, but exciting at the same time. While my brother watched in the corner with dismay (due to the colors I was wearing) I answered several questions from CTV, Global, CBC, the Leader Post, and Saskatoon's News Talk 980!


The day did not end there though! Following the media scrum I ventured out to meet a woman from the Saskatchewan Cancer Agency named Wanda and along with her came a woman by the name of Ilsa. A survior of cancer, Ilsa most definitely had a story to tell that reminded me why I am doing this yet again today.

When she was 16 years old she had a brain tumor. She was forced to be pulled out of school to have surgery, radiation, and chemotherapy. Her life was turned upside down and she fought hard for her life. After of painful treatments and great care her brain tumor was cured through treatment. One thing that struck me was how difficult it was for her to go back to school. She was forced to use a walker, and had no hair because of treatment. She said that it was incredibly difficult and harsh as she received looks all through the corridors of her school and did not feel comfortable being there. Now, she works for the Saskatchewan Cancer Agency, and continues to make a difference in the fight!

(left to right: Wanda, me and Ilsa)

I have to send a huge thank you out to Dutch Cycle in Regina who cleaned up my bike after quite the sloppy ride from Saskatoon to Regina! This will allow for the bike to ride smoothly and make a difference in the pedaling! I would also like to thank Bruce Johnson and Janet Wightman for allowing us into their home while we stayed in Regina. They absolutely allowed for my body to recover and made me feel completely at home. Their interest in the Chase has inspired me to continue further on this journey!


No comments: