Thursday, May 28, 2009

Even Though Creston is Not on Route they are Difference Makers



I have to admit the 5:30am alarm this morning came far too quick. I groggily pulled myself out of my bed and went at packing and organizing and eating some breakfast. I read an email from my friend Shauna who informed me her high school, Prince Charles Secondary in Creston, BC, (not even on route) had done a fundraiser to benefit the Chase in British Columbia. Ms. Popoff the principal of PCS created a get out of school for a dollar, and all funds raised went toward Chase the Cure. Overall they raised $330.00 and truly made a difference in the fight against cancer! I thank all that were involved in this event as it will truly help many in British Columbia! This event absolutely blew me away and I am so thankful that the Chase is reaching people outside of the route!!!!



The morning was great and full of sunshine. I decided I would take the longer/road less travelled to Red Deer. I headed west to begin my morning with the mountains in the background and the conditions were perfect! That is, until a silver Porche Cayenne sped out and went to clear a stop sign without looking.


It just happened was in between them and the sign and swerved quickly out of the way as the driver came back to reality and slammed on his brakes for a close call. This occurred on Old Banff Coach Road and if the driver ever reads this I hope you make a sizable donation to Chase the Cure! Luckily I was aware and escaped, seeing the other lane was completely empty and was able to use it to my advantage to get a safe amount away!

The rest of the ride went absolutely smoothly, I travelled into Cochrane AB and out on the 22 towards Sundre. Along the ride there were a lot of rolling hills, and horses in fields. I rode past some cowboys on their bikes and they were completely confused as to how I ended up getting where I was! Through the whole ride toward Sundre, I could see the beautiful Rockies in the distance and the beautiful prairies beside me. For the first day of riding in the prairies I really enjoyed myself!!!!!! We travelled a total of 200km today into Red Deer and are looking at heading into Edmonton tomorrow :)

That is all for now and I hope everyone has a fantastic night!!!

No comments: