Tuesday, August 11, 2009

Deer Lake to Gander



We are currently in Gander, NL. We have traveled through rain, sun, and have only 300 km. left until we reach St. John's, NL. There has been one particular young man here in Newfoundland that I have found encouragement from, all the way across this great country. His name is Michael, his outlook, positivity and encouraging words he sent me before I began have stuck with me for the entire trip, and I would like to thank him for that. 

Yesterday, we traveled away from Gros Morne (where Brodie and I had spent half our day hiking the highest mountain in Newfoundland) to Grand Falls-Windsor which was a 220 km journey. The morning was fantastic, as I had a wonderful tailwind while traveling toward the northern Newfoundland. Yet, I knew that I would eventually have to turn south and fight the headwinds. Shortly after I reached South Brook, the road curved and went south. This meant this fantastic tailwind, that had been basically pushing me for about the first 50 km., was now against me. It grew stronger and stronger as a storm blew in. I was relieved to go down a hill until a rock sliced open my back tire and my tube popped like a gun shot. I quickly changed my tire, not realizing that there was a slice in the sidewall of my tire and got back onto my bike. Again, the tire popped like a gun shot. Frustrated, I pulled the whole tire off the rim and saw the slice in it. I pulled out my cell phone to find no service. So, I changed the tire once again and filled it with just enough pressure that the tire could roll without wrecking the rim. I traveled with the majority of my weight through the handle bars on the front tire. The going was slow but I eventually phoned the support crew and waited for them. Finally, this disaster was over and I placed a new tire on. 

Today, we stopped into the Dr. H. Bliss Murphy Cancer Care Foundation's Gander Satellite Cancer Center, where we had a chance to talk to some the patients while they received Chemotherapy. There was one woman we met who had been fighting cancer since 1977, but she greeted us with a complete smile. We made sure to hand out Never Alone Bracelets to let those know fighting in Gander they are not alone in their battles and there are many Canadians supporting them coast to coast. It was a neat situation because even some of the patients receiving Chemotherapy reached into their pocket and pulled out donations. Special thanks to the Dr. H. Bliss Murphy Cancer Care Foundation for allowing us to come and let patients who are fighting know they are not alone. 

No comments: