Wednesday, July 8, 2009

A Tiger-Cat Welcome!


The Hamilton Tiger-Cats created an absolutely wonderful welcome for Chase the Cure today! Right away, as soon as I arrived, I was met by a familiar face who came out of the dressing room to greet me: Kevin Glenn. What a class act this man is. I cannot talk enough about this man and his great characteristics; he is a true gentleman! Immediately after cruising into Ivor Wynne Stadium Nick Setta, the kicker of the Hamilton Tiger-Cats, came up and was thrilled with what I was doing. I began to realize that this team is really composed of fantastic people!

After watching a little bit of practice, I was asked to speak to the entire football team. This, I have to say, was one of the most nerve racking situations I have found myself in thus far. Yet, all of these players made a difference and encouraged me while I spoke. The main message I tried to send to them was that they can really make a difference in this fight. They have so many people, of all ages, looking up to them and whatever they want to accomplish they can. I told them that anyone can be affected by this disease, and gave them examples of a 4-year-old, a 20-year-old, and a 50-year-old, a football player (...and many more) and explained that this disease is everywhere! I tried to get the point across that we can band together as members of Canada to encourage everyone to make a difference and end the pain once and for all. Following this, Chase the Cure was given a cheque for $1,500 from the Hamilton Tiger-Cats and an autographed helmet which will be auctioned off to benefit the Ontario portion of the funds to fight back against this disease.

It was extremely neat to break down the practice at the end by being surrounded by the entire team and asked to yell Tiger-Cats on three...... and having these men follow. Again I cannot thank all of the players, and staff of the Hamilton Tiger-Cats enough. A few names stick out in particular: Scott Mitchell, Shawn Burke and Erin who all set up this wonderful event for Chase the Cure. I wish the Tiger-Cats the best as they travel to Vancouver to play the BC Lions this week!!!!!

No comments: