Sunday, July 26, 2009

New Brunswick!!!


The last couple of days, the weather has not cooperated completely. At times, because of the clouds and scenery, it has almost looked like we were traveling through areas of Lord of the Rings.

Yesterday, I traveled toward Riviere Du-Loup in very strong winds and rain (I like to say they were 30km winds... but i really don't know). They were the worst headwinds to-date. It was a struggle, but I drew off the beautiful terrain, and the Budge family who is following my ride from the United States. They have been affected by this disease and I pedaled through with their help. There was one town where there was a bike route right along the St. Lawrence, and the tide had ebbed out and a sail boat was sitting just on the ground. I must say, it is wonderful to be back in the land of tides :). Yet, due to the weather, I was only able to rack off 100kms, which was extremely frustrating.

Today I moved from Riviere Du Loup into Grand Falls, New Brunswick. Prior even to getting back onto the Trans Canada (which, until this point, I was always able to ride on) confusion set in due to a sign not allowing bikers. According to the maps we had, there were no alternative routes..... yet after traveling on it for a while I hopped off and found the 191 which linked up with the Trans Canada later on where you were able to bike.

We traveled out into very little wind today, yet something just didn't seem right all day long on my bike. I couldn't figure it out. I crossed the New Brunswick border (which was 100kms away from my starting point) exhausted.
Here, i had a quick 20-minute nap, and met up with a guy from Scotland who was also riding across from Vancouver to Halifax. He had some extremely funny stories especially of the mosquito bites he had never heard of before his trip. One night he counted 96 bites which he reacted extremely poorly to. He eventually found After Bite, but had an allergic reaction to this. He was a delight to travel with as we talked for a few hours I had forgotten about my problem from earlier.
Finally, after leaving him and continuing on my way, I found out my problem after traveling down a hill. My back wheel completely seized up, and I discovered my brake pads were more worn than normal and the back rim was bent. It turned out the reasoning behind my exhaustion today was a bent back rim which rubbed on my brakes all day. Yet, somehow I still managed to travel 190kms.

I thought I would put a funny sign on here that we saw. A town name was St-Louis-Du-Ha! Ha! (all of that including the "Ha! Ha!" the town name. We took quite the enjoyment out of this after discovering it :)

Goodnight all for now, and let's keep making a difference :)

No comments: